Prime Timers Bowling Team
Social Spotlight by Terry Neal
Social Spotlight is a new feature in Momentum highlighting one (or more) of our event gatherings each month. Each Spotlight will provide a complete briefing on what is involved with each event and how you can join in on the fun! The goal here is to create additional interest and participation from the general PT membership. If you wish to have either your regular group or a specific event profiled in Momentum, please reach out to reporter Terry Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can provide your own detailed copy, or simply request an interview, if you’re not comfortable drafting your own story. For special events, please be sure to provide advance notice of at least 30 days, in order to ensure your story makes the next timely issue of Momentum.
This month’s Social Spotlight features our Prime Timers Bowling Team.
It is currently midseason for their bowling league. The PT Bowling Team is open to adding members at any time, and is also always inspired to have visiting fans cheer them on! Here’s what they want you to know about them:
- The team bowls on Tuesday nights from 8:30 to 10:30 at the convenient central Austin location Dart Bowl, 5700 Grover Avenue, 78756.
- Our team is a member of the Austin Gay Bowling League (AGBL). The league sponsors a fall and a spring season each year. The AGBL takes the entire summer off, as well as the end of year holiday season each year.
- Current bowlers on the Prime Timers team are Bud Alexander, Mark Blangger, Larry Branch, John Guertin, Tony Krug, and Rene Trevino.
- The team welcomes visitors who just want to come out and watch at any time. Dart Bowl offers a bar for drinks and a restaurant with food, so you can make an evening of it. The current spring season ends before the end of April. Make a plan to come out and visit us before then!
You don’t have to be a good bowler to join the team. If your basic skill level is low, it will not minimize the success of the team in the league. AGBL utilizes a handicap (averaging system) to determine the standings of teams within the league. If you’re not a good bowler, your individual handicap will make up the difference to bring your weekly score up higher!
Having no experience is not a problem! Beginners are just as welcome as seasoned bowlers. Most of the current team had not bowled in 10-20 years, before joining our team.
You can bowl alongside us, even if you don’t care to join our team. The league has open lanes for other bowlers to play on their own, at the same time as league play is happening.
If you’re thinking about joining our team, here are some other considerations for your awareness:
- Each league night, our team will bowl three games against another AGBL team. The nightly cost for the three games is $16. Each bowler also pays an annual $20 membership fee.
- Team members wear a Prime Timers jersey, which is complimentary. Bowling balls are available free of charge at the alley for your use each week. The only other personal expense is rental shoes, if you don’t already own your own bowling shoes.
- The upcoming fall season will begin around Labor Day. Each season (spring or fall) spans 15 weeks.
- For any given week, only three members are required to attend to bowl that night.
- Subs are always welcome to join our team as well, to help cover for the planned absences of other team members; so, you don’t have to commit to be there every week.
For more information, or to join, contact John Guertin at email@example.com