Get Your Lunch On! (With the Wed Lunch Group)
Social Spotlight by Terry Neal
This month’s Social Spotlight features the Wednesday Lunch Group. The Wednesday lunch group is a long-running tradition within Austin Prime Timers. The group meets every Wednesday at 11 am at a convenient location at Central Market (4001 North Lamar at 38th Street).
The event is simply an informal gathering to enjoy an early mid-week lunch, and to socialize for a bit. Come as you are with no pretense. Topics of great importance are seldom discussed here. It’s just a pleasant way to spend lunch! This group wants you to know that they are actively seeking more members to join them.
The group has been meeting at Central Market Café every week for a few years now. The group originally started meeting at Waterloo Ice House, but has since settled in here. We have an early start to the lunch, in order to beat their rush-hour lunch crowd.
Most guys order from the restaurant’s counter service. The café’s menu offers salads, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, pizza and pasta selections, as well as a number of daily specials. Lunch prices are very reasonable and generally fall within a range of $6 to $15 dollars. You can browse their normal menu here: Central Market Cafe Menu, if you care to have an early look. For anyone with either dietary restrictions or seeking other options, you’re welcome to purchase something else from inside the adjacent grocery store (where many meals are pre-made for the taking), and simply bring that to the café to dine with the group.
Other details of our gathering for your awareness include:
- Lunch normally lasts no longer than two hours.
- No RSVPs are required here. Drop by unannounced any week that your schedule permits.
- There is no wait staff to tip, which eliminates that complication which normally comes with dining as a group. As such, attendees are welcome to come and go, as your own schedule requires. • Bring a friend, if you like; they do not have to be an Austin Prime Time member.
- The Café has its own entrance on the south end of Central Market. If you’ve not been there before, look for the Café sign marking that entrance.
- There is no reserved seating at the venue. Although the lunch is scheduled for 11 a.m., it’s recommended that you show up a few minutes early to help the regular organizers secure ample seating for our group.
- The group meets each and every week of the year except the week of Thanksgiving.
- If you would like more information, the APT contact for this group is Jim Olin. He can be reached at Email contact or via phone. Jim’s contact info is listed on the “Back Page” events listing. Try us sometime soon for chat, camaraderie, and food!